Wednesday 7 May 2014

You and I ( as much a poem as a social comment)


we live in world divided into classes, often hierarchical, never equal. equality is a value that the human soul strives to achieve...acceptance and love flow from equity. that ideal however is seldom visible in human interactions, not in the social macrocosm, nor in the interpersonal microcosm.
the man woman relationship too, suffers from this...with one partner often the dominant one, to the detriment of the other...
this poem is a reflection of my personal agony, but it resonates with all that happens all around me as well...
You and I 


I sit hunched over my plea all day
Clutching my furiously beating heart in one hand,
Hoping to quell the beat
Framing my draft with the other
I agonise over The words
They must not displease or antagonise,
Nay they ought to be suitably subservient ,
Appealing to your sense of justice,
But must be without accusation or complaint,
I wrap my words in floral adjectives, dress them in hand pressed paper
And while I wait, for you to respond
I remind myself ad nauseam
Of times free and happy
Of sugar and spice and all things nice
Using every device at my disposal to keep my hopes up, my heart happy...
Vulnerable , like a dandelion caught in the wind...
You
Sitting in your big chair, behind the enormous polished wooden desk,
Must examine many such papers all day
Therefore must have considerable practice at dismissal
For you have devised ingenious methods of denial
Somehow, I am always the one proven undeserving ,
It's always my limitations ....
After all how many heartbeats can you make happy?
There is only that much to give
And it is already taken...
You see we come from different lineages , you and I
I plead and you grant,
I am the dispossessed , you hold everything that is of value in the palm of your hand
I have inherited the proletariat ,
You, the bourgeois
Don't you see,my love
I have learnt to plead and ameliorate,
Involuntarily, I certainly didn't want it so,
As you have learnt the mechanisms of power
Bound in an eternal dance, you and I
If we can perceive, can we also break free..?
~Vinny Jain

7/5/14
copyright mine

No comments:

Post a Comment